What is the Auto Timeout and Countdown?
Many users have one or more kiosks setup at reception. Once a visitor starts the sign-in process WhosOnLocation expects the visitor to focus on completing the sign-in process, and not stop half way through to talk to colleagues or employees, or to take a call on their phone. Visitors have even been known to forget to complete the sign-in process and walk away.
In the event a visitor is distracted and walks away for the kiosk mid-sign-in, WhosOnLocation times the sign-in screen out if there is no activity on a screen (a mouse movement, screen touch, data entry) for 30 seconds. We give visitors a 10 second countdown warning when the sign-in process is about to expire. This ensures private information about a visitor is not left on the kiosk screen for the next visitor to view.
The timeout only starts if there is no activity on a screen. To stop the screen timing out, even when the 10 second countdown appears, all the visitor has to do is move the mouse or touch the screen or answer the question they are currently viewing and the 'auto timeout resets'.
The default Auto timeout and countdown is 30 seconds.
How to set adjust a kiosk Auto timeout and countdown
- Administrators select Tools (from the upper toolbar)
- Select Locations (from the Tools dropdown)
- Select the small 'View' button beside the Location name (in this example below I select Head Office (view)
- You are now looking at the Location Settings for the specific location you selected.
- From the options on the left of the screen select Visitor Kiosks
- Select the 'View' button beside the Kiosk you wish to adjust the Auto timeout and countdown for. (In he example above I selected my Head Office Kiosk)
- Scroll down to the field titled Auto timeout and countdown.
- Select a new Auto timeout option
- Select Save located in the bottom of the Kiosk settings screen.
Your new Auto timeout and countdown will apply automatically to the selected kiosk immediately. There is no need to visit the kiosk itself.
When visitors are signing into your site, the process will timeout and return to the sign in / sign out screen after no activity has registered for this length of time.