How it works
With the Alexa for Business integration, you can set up triggers in OnLocation to make on-site audio announcements on your Alexa devices. Each time an event is triggered in OnLocation, a message is sent to the assigned device. An audio version of this message is then announced by Alexa.
Customize the triggers and announcement messages so they meet the exact needs of your business. Set up announcements for most OnLocation trigger types, scenarios could include:
- Announce the arrival of visitors so that their host can meet them at reception.
- Highlight that a visitor has had their access denied because they failed the pre-entry screening.
- Notify a contractor on sign-in that their insurance policies or certifications are expiring soon.
- Give a warning that an employee has entered a restricted zone.
While setting up the integration, you will create rooms in Alexa for Business that correspond with your locations or zones in OnLocation. These rooms are then linked directly to your OnLocation triggers.
There is no cost to set up this integration in OnLocation. However, AWS charges a fee for each device connected to Alexa for Business.
To learn more about how Alexa for Business works, check Amazon's website.
What you’ll need
To set up and use the Alexa for Business integration, you’ll need the following:
- An AWS account – you can set up an account for free if you don’t already have one
- An AWS IAM profile with Alexa for Business permissions – there is no charge to create a profile
- A supported device – includes Amazon Echo and Polycom Trio
- Pay an AWS subscription fee for each device you set up in Alexa for Business
- Either the Account Owner or IT Support user role in OnLocation
- An active WIFI network to connect your devices to
Set up the integration
There are three parts to setting up the integration, you need to complete them in this order:
- Set up your Alexa for Business account in AWS, and configure your devices and rooms.
- Connect the integration in OnLocation.
- Add a trigger in OnLocation for each announcement. You can preview the announcement before saving your trigger.