About iPad printing
There are three options to print from an iPad. They all require a Brother QL-720NW. QL-810W, or QL-820NWB printer:
|AirPrint||This mode allows you to select a printer on the same network as your iPad by choosing from a list of AirPrint-compatible printers. Go to the kiosk settings screen on your iPad kiosk to select a printer.|
|Bluetooth||This mode allows you to select a printer connected to your iPad via Bluetooth by selecting from a list of connected printers. Go to the kiosk settings screen on your iPad kiosk to select a printer. This option is only available using the Brother QL-820NWB printer and specified labels.|
|Manual IP address||
If your network does not support AirPrint, you may need to enter your printer settings manually. Confirm that the settings are correct by selecting the Print Test Label button from your iPad kiosk settings screen.
Printing via the IP address can be used when the printer cannot be found in the iPad kiosk. This can be caused by limitations imposed on your wireless network connection.
iPad kiosks using iOS15 and iOS16 currently have an issue printing using a manual IP address. While this issue is being resolved, please print using Bluetooth, WiFi, or AirPrint instead.
Step 1: Find your printer's IP address
To set up printing, you must get the printer's IP address and add it to the kiosk settings in OnLocation.
If your IP address starts with 169.254, the printer couldn't connect to provide a working IP address. You will need to reconnect the printer to your computer to install it on the network.
Brother QL-720NW and QL-810W
On your printer:
- Press and hold the cut button until labels begin printing. Five labels will print out; the first three will be blank and can be discarded.
- On the fourth label, find the IP address line. It will be a series of numbers separated by periods (for example 192.168.1.44 or 10.0.1.23). You will need to enter this into your kiosk settings.
On your printer:
- Press Menu on the printer.
- Go to WLAN and press OK.
- Go to WLAN Status and press OK.
- Select your connection type and press OK.
The IP address is listed under IP Address.
Step 2: Update the kiosk settings
Now that you have your printer's IP address, enter this in the kiosk settings in OnLocation:
- Go to Locations, then select the location from the drop-down list.
- Select Sign In/Out Kiosks.
- Click View next to your kiosk.
- In the Settings tab, check that iPad is selected as the kiosk device. If not, change the device type.
- Select the Printing tab.
- Select Other Printer using Manual IP Address.
- Enter the printer's IP address.
- Click Save and Close.
When you open OnLocation Kiosk on your iPad, the app will automatically connect to your Brother printer using its IP address.