About iPad printing
There are three options to print from an iPad, both require the Brother QL-720NW. QL-810W, or QL-820NWB printer:
- AirPrint – This mode allows you to select a printer on the same network as your iPad by choosing from a list of AirPrint compatible printers. Go to the kiosk settings screen on your iPad kiosk to select a printer.
- Bluetooth – This mode allows you to select a printer connected to your iPad via Bluetooth by selecting from a list of connected printers. Go to the kiosk settings screen on your iPad kiosk to select a printer. This option is only available using the Brother QL-820NWB printer and specified labels.
- Manual IP address – If your network does not support AirPrint, you may need to enter your printer settings manually. Confirm that the settings are correct by selecting the Print Test Label button from your iPad kiosk settings screen. You must be using WolKiosk version 1.94 or higher for this function.
Printing via the IP address can be used when the printer cannot be found in the iPad kiosk. This can be caused by limitations imposed on your wireless network connection.
Find your printer's IP address
To set up direct printing, you will need to get the printer's IP address and then set up the necessary settings for the kiosk in WhosOnLocation.
169.254, the printer was unable to connect to provide a working IP address. You will need to reconnect the printer to your computer to install it on the network.
Brother QL-720NW and QL-810W
On your Brother printer:
- Press and hold the cut button until labels begin printing.
Five labels will print out, the first three will be blank and can be discarded.
- On the fourth label, find the IP address line. It will be a series of numbers separated by periods (for example
10.0.1.23), you will need to enter this into your kiosk settings.
On your Brother printer:
- Press Menu on the printer.
- Go to WLAN and press OK.
- Go to WLAN Status and press OK.
- Select your connection type and press OK.
The IP address will be listed under IP Address.
Update the kiosk settings
Now that you have your printer's IP address, you need to enter this into the kiosk settings in WhosOnLocation:
- Go to Tools > Locations.
- Click View next to the location with your iPad kiosk.
- Select Sign In/Out Kiosks from the left-hand menu.
- Click View next to your kiosk.
- Check that iPad is selected as the Kiosk Device. If not, change the device type.
- Select the Printing tab.
- Select Other Printer using Manual IP Address.
- Enter the printer's IP address which you obtained from the steps above.
- Click Save and Close.
When you open the WolKiosk app on your iPad, the app will automatically connect to your Brother printer using its IP address.