About data access permissions
You can choose what contractor members can see, add, edit, or remove in the Contractor Portal. The type of access varies for each permission area.
Some options can also be set to Required. This means that when an organization is edited or a member added, they have to enter this information.
To manage permissions for the portal:
- Go to Tools > Contractor Manager.
- Select Portal Administration for the left-side menu.
- Select the Data Access Permissions tab.
This tab is split into five sub-tabs which cover:
Organization Details tab
This tab manages access to the contact information for the member's organization. You can select the information that members can view, what they can make changes to, and choose if some or all fields are required.
You can opt to give the same permission to all fields, or expand the section to give different permissions to each field type.
The default organization details fields include:
- Contractor Type – The legal entity type that this organization is registered as
- Organization Name – The legal name of the organization
- Trading As – The trading name of the organization if different from the legal name. If the trading and legal names are the same the trading name will be automatically added.
- Phone Number – The contact phone number for the organization
- Email Address – The main contact email of the organization
- Physical Address – The main physical address at which the organization is located
- Country – The country the organization is from
Portal users cannot change the status of the organization, the Legal ID, or the Organization Owner. All other default fields can be set up for a member to edit. Any information with the Required box selected must be completed before they can save their changes.
If you use custom fields and tabs in your contractor organization profiles, you can choose which fields can be viewed and/or edited. As with the default fields, custom fields can be marked as required.
The example below has a custom tab labeled Registration, the field within the tab has been set up to be edited by portal users.
This tab gives the portal users the ability to manage their organization's insurance policies. You can choose if portal users can Read, Add, or Delete insurance policies for their organizations. This makes it easier and faster to keep insurance records up-to-date. Instead of sending their updated insurance through to you, they can simply upload the details via the portal.
Expiry notifications will still be sent, as per your settings, to remind the members to update their insurance information. If you enable insurance managing for Contractor Portal, you may want to add extra instructions for uploading this information themselves rather than sending it to you.
For more information on setting up Insurances, have a look at Introduction: Insurances Management.
For information on how Contractor Portal Users manage insurances, have a look at Managing Insurances.
This tab gives the portal users the ability to manage the contracts between their organization and yours. You can choose if portal users can Read, Add, or Delete contracts.
This makes it easier and faster to keep contracts up-to-date; they can confirm the details of any contracts set up in WhosOnLocation and update any details which may change.
Expiry notifications will still be sent, as per your settings, to remind the members that contracts are expiring. If you enable contract managing for Contractor Portal, you may want to add extra instructions for how to manage these by following your internal policies.
For more information on setting up Contracts, have a look at Introduction: Contracts Management.
For information on how Contractor Portal Users manage contracts, have a look at Managing Contracts.
This tab contains information about contractor members that portal users can manage. This includes contact information about the members, account status, photos, contact role types, inductions, and qualifications.
Add or delete users
Select the checkbox to confirm if portal administrators can add or delete members.
Any information with the Required box selected will have to be entered to save any changes made in this section by the member, this will be signified to them by a red asterisk.
You can opt to give the same permission to all fields within a profile tab, or expand the section to give different permissions to each field type.
Default member fields:
- Full Name – The member’s name. You must have a first and last name to add a member
- Job Title – The member’s title in their organization
- Contractor ID – Can be entered instead of a name during sign in/out on a Kiosk.
- Primary Email Address – This is used for contact, sending notifications, invitations, and inductions to the member
- Other Email Address – Can be used to send an induction or for contact records
- Mobile Number – This is used for contact, sending notifications, invitations, and inductions to the member
- Phone Number – For your contact records
- Extension Number – In case an extension is needed to reach the member at their phone number
- ICE Number – The number of the member’s emergency contact
- Permitted On-site From and Permitted On-site To – The date the member can sign in from and until. These dates are optional, if they are blank, the member will always be considered valid.
- Status of Account – The status of the member in WhosOnLocation, chosen between Pending, Active, Inactive, On-Hold, and Banned. You may want the portal user to be able to activate their members when they are coming on-site
If you use custom fields for your contractor members, you can choose which fields can be viewed and/or edited. As with the default fields, custom fields can be marked as required.
The example below has a custom tab labeled Certification, the fields within the tab have all been set up to be edited by portal users.
Choose whether or not portal users can edit or view photos of members.
Contact Role Types
Choose whether or not portal users can edit or read the contact role types assigned to their organization's members.
If editing is enabled, the portal user will not be able to change the available options for contact role types, only assign them to members. They will have access to all contact role types you have enabled in your account.
Choose whether to give portal users the ability to manage the induction courses for the members of their organization.
There are several options for the level of access you want to allow:
- Add – A portal user will be able to manually set dates that induction courses were passed for their members. They will also be able to upload supporting documents for any internal/external inductions. Expiry notifications will still be sent, as per your settings, to remind the members that their online inductions are expiring. If you enable induction managing for Contractor Portal, you may want to add extra instructions for sending invites or uploading information.
- Read – A portal user will have the ability to view what inductions members have been invited to, and or passed along with the relevant dates on which these were completed.
- Delete – A portal user will have the ability to remove inductions associated with a member's account.
- Invite – A portal user will be able to send their members invites to take online induction courses.
For more information on managing inductions in WhosOnLocation, have a look at Introduction: Induction Management.
Choose if portal users can manage the qualifications their organization's members have. This makes it easier and faster to keep qualification records up-to-date. They can upload the details and supporting documents of any qualifications their members obtain directly into the portal.
Expiry notifications will still be sent, as per your settings, to remind the members to update qualification information that expires. If you enable qualification managing for Contractor Portal, you may want to add extra instructions for uploading this information themselves rather than sending it to you.
For more information on managing contractor qualifications in WhosOnLocation, have a look at the Introduction: Contractor qualifications article.
Categories & Groups tab
Select the categories and groups an organization belongs to in WhosOnLocation. These are options set up in Contractor Manager to group similar organizations. You can give the members the ability to add their organization to the groups set up in your account, they will not be able to change the groups themselves.
You can manage the edit rights for each group. For example, if you have particular groups used for induction or qualification grouping, you can make them read-only or hidden leaving the rest available to use. You can't make any groups required so if you want organizations to belong to certain groups you will need to stop these from being edited.
For more information about Categories & Groups have a look at Category and Group Settings.