Printer sleep mode
Check that the printer does not have sleep mode enabled:
- Go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
- Right-click the printer in question, then select Printer Preferences. Look for an option to disable sleep or time-out mode.
You can also right-click on the printer, select Printer Properties, and look for a similar function.
You may need to refer to the printer's help guide or the manufacturer's support desk for assistance.
Disable the Windows setting that keeps USB ports live:
- Go to the Control Panel, then select Power Options.
- Click Change plan settings for the selected power plan.
- Click Change advanced power settings.
- Expand USB settings and USB selective suspend setting, then change both the On Battery and Plugged in settings to Disabled.
- Click Apply, then click OK.
- Click Save changes on the Edit Plan Settings window.
USB device manager settings
Disable the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power setting:
- Click Start, type Device Manager in the search box, then click Device Manager from the list.
- Expand the USB Root Hub, then select the Power Management tab.
- Clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox, then click OK. You may see multiple listings for USB Root Hub, uncheck this option for all USB Root Hubs.
- Click OK to close the Device Manager
Brother QL700 printers
If the PC or tablet runs on Windows 32 bit, then you can set the Auto Power-Off Time Setting to 0 minutes. Follow the instructions on Brother's website.
If the version of Windows is 64-bit, then the only way to re-program the QL700 series printer is to plug it into a PC running 32 bit Windows (and also has the Brother printer driver installed) or into a Mac. Reset the setting, then plug back into your 32 bit PC/tablet.