Before you begin the setup wizard, you will need:
- Your Brivo OnAir Administrator login
- An account on the Brivo API Platform
- An API key
- The Brivo integration enabled in your account
To access the wizard:
- Go to Tools > Account.
- Select Integrations from the left-hand menu.
- Select the Enabled Integrations tab.
- Click Manage Settings next to Brivo.
Click on each of the steps below to follow the Brivo integration setup wizard.
Step 1: Confirm you are ready
This step is for you to confirm you have everything you need before you begin setting up the integration and to authorize MRI OnLocation to link to your Brivo account.
Tick each box to acknowledge and click Get Started.
Step 2: Link to Brivo
To link OnLocation and Brivo, you will need to work in both accounts at the same time.
OnLocation requires your Brivo Client ID and Client Secret which are generated by creating an Application in Brivo. The steps on creating these are below.
An API Key can be obtained by request to Brivo.
- Log in to Brivo OnAir, either click the Brivo OnAir link in the wizard or go to brivo.com.
- Navigate to Setup > Account > Account Settings.
- Click on the Application Management tab.
- In the Create a New Application field, fill in the new application with the Name and Description as OnLocation.
- Select the type of authentication for the application, 3-Legged is recommended, and the rest of the setup steps refer to this type.
Mirror your chosen authentication method to the Brivo OAuth Settings box on the right side of this wizard.
- When using the 3-legged application type, you need to enter the Redirect URI in Brivo. Copy the URI provided in the OnLocation steps to the New Application in Brivo. This is unique to your OnLocation account.
- In Brivo, click Create Application.
The new application will be created and listed under Account Owned Applications.
- Once created, clicking the small blue Application Details icon will display the Client ID and Secret.
Copy and paste these in the Brivo OAuth Settings box on the right side of this wizard.
- Assigned API Keys can be found in your Brivo developer portal. Copy this to the Brivo OAuth Settings box on the right side of this wizard.
You can get to the Developer Portal by clicking the link, or going to brivo.com/apps/mykeys, and entering your login details.
If you do not have a Brivo API Key, you will need to request this from Brivo.
- Click Continue.
Step 3: Authorize with Brivo
Now that you have linked your OnLocation and Brivo accounts, you need to authorize OnLocation to access the data from your Brivo account.
- Click Authorize Now.
You will be re-directed to log into your Brivo API.
- Log in to your API.
- Click Submit.
You will be taken back to OnLocation and automatically to the next step.
Step 4: Syncing to Brivo
Your Brivo data will now be synced with OnLocation. This may take a few minutes. OnLocation will import your Sites, Doors, and Users into the Brivo integration so that you can match them with existing data in your OnLocation account.
To separate your employees from contractors, create a group called contractors in Brivo and add any contractors to that group. You do not have to give that group access to any doors.
When complete, the spinning hourglass will become a tick, and you can click Continue.
Step 5: Mapping Brivo sites to OnLocation
To ensure that your reporting is accurate, your site permissions are carried over, and your users are matched correctly, you will need to match your Brivo sites to your OnLocation locations; this is called mapping.
You can map multiple Brivo sites to one location or leave some unmapped if you’re not using them with this integration. You will not be able to map doors or users set up in unmapped sites.
To map your sites to locations, drag and drop your Brivo Site to the matching OnLocation Location from left to right on your screen.
Once your sites are matched to your locations correctly, click Continue.
Step 6: Where are your Brivo doors located
The Doors you have set up in your Brivo account are matched to Access Points in your OnLocation account. The access point is used to identify Sign In/Out Kiosks and other areas that a person might sign into and out of a location.
You can match multiple doors to one access point where required, e.g. one door in and one door out for the same access point.
To match your doors to access points, select the corresponding access point from the drop-down list next to the door.
Once your doors are matched with your access points, click Continue.
You can re-map your doors at any time once the setup is complete.
Step 7: Sync config
Set up how you want to configure your sync of people in Brivo and OnLocation. The Master Database will determine which system is used to push information through to the other. If you have all your people set up in OnLocation and want to import them into Brivo, choose OnLocation as the Master Database or vice versa.
OnLocation master database
When OnLocation is selected, you have three options for syncing; All, Selected, or Off.
- All – All employees from all locations matched with Brivo sites will be synced.
- Selected – Choose the locations you want to sync employees with Brivo from.
- Off – No employees will be synced. Choose this option if you are only syncing contractors or not ready to sync employees.
- All – Sync all contractors in your account with Brivo.
- Selected – Contractors with the Brivo Sync role type assigned will be synced with Brivo. This will be automatically generated in the system and can be applied after you complete the wizard.
- Off – No contractors will be synced. Choose this option if you are only syncing employees or not ready to sync contractors.
Brivo master database
When Brivo is selected as the master database you have two options for syncing; Selected and Off.
- Selected – Choose the groups in Brivo that you want to sync and select the location new employees should be added to by default. Their default location can be overridden using rules later.
- Off – No employees will be synced.
Contractors in Brivo need to be added to a group called contractors before syncing. This will allow OnLocation to identify them as contractors and import/match them to contractor profiles.
- Selected – Choose the groups in Brivo, including the contractors' group, that you want to sync. The location permissions are added by the organization in OnLocation.
- Off – No contractors will be synced.
Step 8: Match users between OnLocation and Brivo
Your Brivo Users are now automatically matched with employees and/or contractors in your OnLocation account.
Users are matched based on their name, and any users that are not matched can always be matched manually or automatically later.
If your employees and/or contractors have not been set up in the non-master database, they will not be matched. These and any new employees and/or contractors will be imported to the non-master database through scheduled syncs once set up. Click here for more information on setting this up.
It may take a few minutes to match all users depending on how many records there are. When complete, the spinning hourglass will become a tick and you can click Continue.
Step 9: Finished
Your Brivo integration setup is now complete. Click Finish to confirm.
You will be taken to the Brivo integration settings page where you can configure the sync settings, adjust the matching of sites, doors, and users, and set up sync rules.