If you're new to Qualifications Management and want a quick overview of what it's all about, this getting started tutorial is for you. We introduce the core concepts of Qualifications Management and then get you on your way to configuring the qualifications you wish to setup and assigning them to people who are certified or licensed to hold that qualification.
You can download the entire Introduction: Qualifications Management article here.
Why use the Qualifications Management Add-on?
When people are on-site and performing certain tasks there may be a requirement for the person to be ‘qualified’ to perform that task. Whether it’s driving a forklift, doing electrical wiring work, working in a confined space, working from heights, acting as a Fire Warden or Fire Marshal, or any number of other tasks – being qualified to do so is often a pre-requisite.
WhosOnLocation’s Qualifications Management tool allows your organization to:
- Keep track of whether a person’s qualifications, certifications, and accreditations are current;
- It will help you to comply with workplace regulations and;
- It will ensure that you have some ‘control’ in place to manage whether a person is permitted to carry out a task while on-site.
About the Qualifications Manager User Role
The qualifications your organization will want to manage will differ from other organizations. Recording which employees or contractors has a ‘Forklift Driver’s License’ or a ‘Working from Heights Certificate’ may have relevance to a logistics or manufacturing company but it may have no relevance to a charity organization or a school.
Qualifications therefore are unique to your organization. You decide what qualification are important to your organization by creating them. Creating your qualifications list is the role of the Qualifications Manager.
Once the qualification list is created who records which employees or service providers have the qualification?
- Employees can have a qualification recorded against their profile by any user assigned the user role of Administrator.
- Service Provider Member’s (contractor’s) holding a qualification can have it recorded against their profile by any user assigned the user role of Service Provider Manager.
Note: Neither an Administrator nor a Service Provider Manager can ‘create’ or ‘setup’ a qualifications list. This is the role of the Qualifications Manager.
Can an Administrator or Service Provider Manager also be a Qualifications Manager?
Yes. Users can hold multiple User Roles concurrently.
Can more than one person be assigned the Qualifications Manager User Role?
Yes. You can assign the role to multiple people but best practise is that it is limited to 2 people to maintain control over the qualifications list.
Don’t forget every Administrator and Service Provider Manager can assign qualifications to people – but creating the actual qualifications list should be limited to only a few people at most.
Assign a person the Qualifications Manager User Role
Only an Administrator can assign themselves or a colleague to a User Role.
- Go to: Tools > User Roles
- Find the person you wish to assign the User Role to.
- Select the green Manage Roles button located on the right-hand side of the screen in-line with the user’s name.
- Scroll down and select Qualifications Manager
- Select the blue ‘Assign Roles’ button.
Congratulations! – the user is now assigned the Qualifications Manager User Role.
The next time this user logs onto WhosOnLocation they will be able to access the Qualifications Manager tools from their homepage or via Tools, in the upper toolbar.
The Qualifications Manager needs to logon and come into the Helpdesk and go through the Qualifications Manager Tutorials. It will only take them to around 30 minutes to learn all they need to know.
Next we look at how the Qualifications Manager sets up and manages the Qualifications list.